Good news, bad news!!!!!!!
I have not posted in a while because of all the time spent looking for, and working on the new boat. This weekend was no exception and we worked to get the motor mounted. As I get more into the thrill and excitment of boat ownership, I am finding out why my friends that own boats say "Don't own a boat, just have friends that own boats!" I am happy to have this vessel and she was in great shape when I got her but this has been more work to get her set up than I imagined.
Well got the jack plate for the motor installed on Sunday along with the motor, and that's the good news. However, the motor was not running on all cylinders. The bottom cylinder was firing intermittently, and that's the bad news. We did some major cleaning of the motor which was not kept up that well but now the motor is exremely clean inside and out. We cleaned all three carbs and the bottom one was particularly dirty. This happens to be the cylinder that was dropping out as well. The plug wires were not snapping onto the plugs and I am going to first try and rule out the simple stuff. I am going to tune the motor up and replace the wires, plugs, and do a more thourough job of cleaning the carbs. Hopefully this will take care of it. The motor did mount well and we have the cavitation plate within an inch of optimal height on the transom. It is getting there but I want to get her out and see how she runs. There is still some uncertanty because I will not be able to tell how the boat runs until there is some open water and I get the trolling motor mounted and the inside either carpeted or painted with some type of textured paint. Here are some pics of the installation of jack plate and motor.
Will keep you posted as to the progress and I am looking forward to getting the project complete and out on the water. Only a couple things left to do once the motor is running good!!!